Monday, January 9, 2017

Winter Indoors

Copy of a Pissarro, 12x16 oil

While the snow has covered the ground and excited my eyeballs and mind for painting it, the temperature has been too cold for comfort, and so I fulfill my need for a snow painting by copying a Pissarro I have long admired.  The above represents an effort of three or four hours, and I need to go back over it and make some improvements, but the mood is there, and the style is relaxed and playful in Pissarro's way.  The name of the painting might be "The Road from Versalles to Saint Germain at Louveciennes", but many of his paintings are named something very similar.  I have seen two versions of this painting cropped in different ways, so the original may be either wider than I have shown, or larger overall.

And then there is a recent piece from a walk with the dog on Oswego Creek, a recent source of inspiration for me.  It is peaceful up along the creek, and the mood changes so much through the seasons that I don't think this well will run dry anytime soon.




1 comment:

Randall David Tipton said...

That's a beauty Mitch, the lagoon and creek are calling to you!