Sunday, February 15, 2015

Surfing the Web

An older plein air pastel study gone wild

Continuing to share some of the websites I find most interesting, I'd like to mention two places I visit for images of paintings which I might not otherwise discover.  Art & Artists  is a great place to discover work of famous artists not found in most books.  Poul Webb pools together extensive collections of the work of a particular artist and then spreads them over however many posts it takes.  Currently, he is posting on Edvard Munch, and the current post (number 5 of 20 planned) contains 65 paintings, so you can imagine how much of Munch's work will be available for perusal.  I find it fascinating to see the breadth and depth of a painter's work, to see the series done, the changes through the years, and the works very unlike the familiar (in this case, The Scream.)  There is also an index of artists so that it is easy to find the ones that may interest you.

Another website for discovering work of which I personally may be unaware is Lines and Color, by Charley Parker.  Each day he presents the work of someone he finds interesting, often with enlarged details of the work.  He includes contemporary fine artists, illustrators, fantasy artists and painters from centuries ago.  I look forward to the daily treat from Charley, and have seldom been disappointed.


No comments: