Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cellist 1900


For some reason being stuck on a couple of paintings, I try to break the ice with some drawing practice, just to get something finished.  I find that I enjoy most pulling up old photos from the turn of the century; maybe it's a romanticism for the past, maybe the photography was different somehow making it better for me for drawing.  But I think most of all I enjoy working on the face of someone long gone and trying to bring them back to life.  I sometimes reach a point during the drawing where I see a glimmer of life, make a connection with this woman or that man, and the work becomes imbued with more personal meaning.  We all will die soon enough, but maybe in some future some stranger will pull up an image of us and wonder who we were, what we were like, and try to find something in our face to bring us back to life however briefly.

No comments: